Pages

Tuesday 7 October 2014

The many hops of hopscotch

It started with just two children, and within a short time it involved the whole group...
The idea was to get across the hopscotch in a new way... in fact it started off as challenges... can you get acros with only touching the yellow squares... the red squares? On one leg...?
Then the children started to come up with lots of their own ideas... they lined up and waited their turn... watching what others did to see if it was something that would inspire them, or something worth copying... or whether they should come up with yet another new idea... a little like a philosophy session... instead of listening with ears it was with eyes...
"What can they do?" How do they do that?" "can I do that?" Do I need to adapt that so I can manage?" "Do I need to adapt that to give myself more of a challenge?" "I like my idea, but do I dare do it?"
This might have been a physical activity but you could see there ws plenty of thinking going on...

And to imagine that one hopscotch could inspire so many different ways of getting across..

running, mini-jumps. marching, BIG jumps, hopping, selected colours, sideways, crawling, rolling, crawl of three limbs, cartwheels, bunny jumps... etc etc..



It was pouring with rain... so we were all rather wet by the time we returned for lunch... on the outside at least...

No comments:

Post a Comment